Primitive Skills Workshop
Time & Location
About the Event
Learn the skills of ancient people while exploring the Ozark wilderness in this day-long workshop at the Ozark Natural Science Center with Ozark Primitive Skills. We will start the morning with a hike to discover edible plants, after which we will enjoy some of our findings along with a sack lunch (you bring). After lunch, participants will learn about shelter building and try your hand at it. Finally, participants will make their own bow drill kit and will practice this ancient form of fire-starting. As the sun sets, everyone will gather around the campfire for dinner. Dinner will be provided so please indicate any dietary restrictions any participants might have.
Participants must be at least 12 years old. All children under the age of 18 will need to be accompanied by an adult (no more than 2 children per adult). All participants need to bring their own pocketknife, appropriate clothing for the weather (rain or shine), closed-toe shoes, and a packed lunch.
Adults-$40 per person, Children 12-18yrs - $25 (includes all make and take materials plus dinner)
Registration is required at least one week in advance. Refunds will only be issued for any cancellations made by September 19th, minus any non-refunded PayPal fees.
ONSC is committed to protecting the health and wellbeing of our staff and visitors and follows all state directives and recommendations for indoor and outdoor gatherings, including the use of cloth face coverings, physical distancing, hand hygiene, and enhanced cleaning protocols.
To support efforts to contain the spread of Covid-19 and adhere to Arkansas state directives, we are limiting the attendance of our events to 50 or fewer guests.
Please do not attend an ONSC event if you:
- Have had a fever of 100.4°F or greater in the last 5 days
- Have a cough, difficulty breathing, sore throat, or loss of taste or smell
- Had contact with a person known to be infected with COVID-19 in the previous 14 days
ONSC welcomes out-of-state visitors, children, and small groups. Please take extra precautions and consider your health risks if you:
- Are an individual who is 65 years of age or older
- Are an individual of any age with underlying health conditions, including high blood pressure, chronic lung disease, diabetes, severe obesity, asthma, or weakened immunity
International or “hot spot” out-of-state visitors must abide by the AR Department of Health guidelines found here.
- Adult Registration$40$400$0
- Youth Registration 12yrs-18yrs$25$250$0